"A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous."
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, April 8, 2010

underthings have a difficult time transitioning into overthings

My internet died again, hence the week-long silence. It was pathetically difficult for me, not to be able to go online for a week, since I'm not exactly one of those "play outside" types of girls. Most of the time I'm here on the computer, frying brain cells and slowly turning my eyeballs square over runway show after runway show. And I don't regret it either. I can accredit most of my knowledge of actually important things to the internet.

Anyway, my concentration for the time being is on the lingerie as actual clothing trend that you would have to be both blind and deaf not to notice. It was in nearly every show that I saw for this season, from Marc Jacobs to Dolce and Gabbana to Missoni.

Marc Jacobs Spring 2010 Ready-to-WearJean Paul Gaultier Spring 2010 Ready-to-WearAlexander Wang Spring 2010 Ready-to-Wear

In order: Marc Jacobs, Jean Paul Gaultier, Alexander Wang

Pretending for a moment that we are all gorgeous Amazonian s who weighed 60 pounds soaking wet, this would work nicely. Unfortunately for us, we are not, and it is my belief that only the woman who is 6'2 can even dream of pulling off a corset and briefs- in any environment. A sad fact of life, indeed. But, there are other factors that contribute to make this a rather unwearable trend. Pretty as it is, I doubt this type of garment is suitable for any workplace, you'd be fired for indecent exposure. I'd also imagine it'd be a bit embarrassing to walk around in your underclothes all day.

And people like me couldn't even begin to think about trying this because we would be shunted out of our little sheltered communities, for being extremely bizarre-looking or something. I'm sure it's a law here. It'd be worth it though, just to drive people insane. Muahaha.

1 comment:

  1. funny and so well written. if we saw a woman on the street in Manhattan dressed like that, we would be so puzzled and freaked out. i think if you can get away with it and it feels right then why not???? my two cents.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message.