"A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous."
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

it took me twenty minutes to learn how to make a hyperlink so you better appreciate it

Whilst reading through Vogue a few weeks ago I came across this- which I am very excited about for no particular reason. Tom Ford is legend in all his Gucci and YSL legacy and lipsticks happen to be a personal favorite. He is designing a line of twelve lipsticks where everything from the colors to the casing is gorgeous. Look at the full collection which I cannot find pictures to paste on this page right here.

They come in colors ranging from Vanilla Suede to Black Orchid, with his initials imprinted on the top of each. The tubes that they come in are elegant and chic to a t. The lipstick tube (I absolutely hate using the word tube to describe these because I feel it is far too informal and that the word doesn't give the lipstick justice. However I cannot find another word for it so...) is made up of a pure white ivory and gold. It has a beautiful old fashioned feel, as it is described as heavy. I simply adore this type of design because it refuses to cave into the demand of society and become thin and light- as all the appliances and glosses are becoming. It gives a more sophisticated impression.

My favorite thing that he said in the Vogue article that isn't mentioned in the condensed one, above, was his opinion of lip glosses. He said, and I quote, "I don't like the motion. Opening a beautiful case and spinning out the bullet is a much more elegant gesture. Lip gloss is kind of the equivalent of chewing gum to me." I must agree, although you can't ignore the connivence of lip glosses.

Lipstick has the refined aura about it that makes the wearer seem, to use the most overused word in fashion, chic. It is subtle, but it dresses you up, as the gloss does the opposite. Tom said it nicely,"When I was a kid, when someone rang the doorbell, my mother would put on lipstick before getting the door. Lipstick makes you look dressed." And so it was in previous generations. I fear that our age lacks that sophistication, as we were brought up on the gloss, and that the elegance will be lost. I am determined not to allow that to happen, so tomorrow I will try to get myself some new lipstick shades, although I think they will be more of the CVS variety.



3 comments:

  1. This is unrelated to the post but I like the quote at the top rather than the picture. The picture was a little too big, and prevented me from quickly glancing to see if there was a new post. I like this better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna. haha and i like the quote.-haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha it bothered me too- except it took like twenty minutes to get the picture taken

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message.