"A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous."
- Coco Chanel

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Gloriously Dead King Tutankhamun

Confession: I didn't go to school today. Not because I was sick, no, but because I wanted to go see the mummified remains of King Tut in a museum in the city. A real, live (well, not necessarily live, but you get my point) mummy. I was excited, to say the least.

I got a little less excited when I was informed that there is no flash photography allowed anywhere near the artifacts, as it can dull them or something bizarre along those lines. I suggested just turning my flash off, but apparently, that will also do sufficient damage. I mean, they've been exposed to all sorts of bugs and such since 131 BC, so how could a little camera flash really hurt that much more? All I wanted was a few simple pictured of me next to a real, dead pharaoh and all his golden toys to prove I was there, but no, the museum people had to go and ruin my fun.

We did, however get photos a safe distance from all the dead folk, but my computer doesn't seem to want to download those now, so I'll show them another time.

Then, thinking I was so clever, I looked up photos of the Egyptian objects to show you here- but then I realized that there would be no proper photos because of the stupid rules. I feel less clever now. But, I did manage to find photos of the replica statues. It's not the same as a photo of a dead king with me in the background, but, close enough.

Tutankhamun In The Red CrownLarge CatSmall SelketImhotep

Sorry, the real ones were far more interesting- that is, when you could see them. About half of the other King Tut seers somehow thought that they were entitled to block entire exhibits with their largeness, and press their noses against the glass, as though somehow they would be able to get closer if they did. You could say this annoyed me, but that's probably putting it lightly.

(google photo)

Ah, and that is the great pharaoh now. He was in this glass case, unwrapped, which was honestly a little disturbing because I thought he'd be safe in his sarcophagus. He's pretty well preserved for a thousand something year old man, right? But I don't imagine when he thought of passing on he imagined that he'd be stuck in a claustrophobic little glass box for children to ogle at him all day. That doesn't seem all too fun, even for a dead man. I still don't know how he looks so... not like part of the Earth. I don't want to look that good at that age- by then I'd like to be dirt, thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, the mummy if King Tut you saw was most likely a replica, as his real mummy is kept in his tomb. So 'flash photography damages replica' is even a more stupid excuse. ;)

    The main reason is partly because museums need to make money and they sell less books and postcards if people are allowed to take pictures (or so they think) or they are loaning artefacts from other museums/exhibitions who don't allow photography.

    But regardless the photography policy of the exhibition, that must have been a replica-king tut.

    Kind regards,
    Ann
    http://heritage-key.com/blogs/ann

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message.