"A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous."
- Coco Chanel

Friday, May 14, 2010

and what have we here? part one

I have looked through the Chanel Resort show maybe eighty times now, and I find I am incredibly opinionated about how I feel about the collection. However, I am also exceptionally lazy tonight and I'm afraid I just don't have the energy to go through everything from the eighty seven looks. So, below are photos of what I don't like, (note that there is a very small amount of pictures), and I'll continue the posting tomorrow.

Chanel Resort 2011

I'm sorry- and I nearly always stand by Karl's ideas and designs, because, well, he's a genius, but I am not prepared to pretend even for a moment that I think this is even slightly attractive. It's ridiculous looking (although I'm sure you couldn't find a better crafted garment...) and almost seems to belong to a very different show(Chico's, perhaps?). The boobage is troubling and it upsets my stomach. Sorry.

Chanel Resort 2011
I was disappointed when I saw this. It was like BAM! BAM! BAM! high fashion slide after slide, and then I get to, well, a mall chick. The sweater and the boots are great, sure, but a denim skirt? She would fit in seamlessly at any mall in America. I admit, she'd probably stand out a bit because of the high quality of the clothes, but if you took away that- there's a girl dressed for walking around at the mall. I mean, really? Is that what we've come to here? This is not what I've grown to accept from Chanel.

Chanel Resort 2011
There is something wrong here. I don't get it, and it bothers me. I felt like I really understood the rest of the show- but this look has me positively baffled. Baffled. I'm perfectly fine with the bathing suit and cover-up, but the boots...the boots.... the boots. I get where they came from, the black toe-cover is iconic and classic. I love the ruffles or bunches (I can't entirely identify what they are from this angle), but the fabric and the height of them? I don't know what to do about it. I mean, really I'm not actually going to do anything about it, I just need to understand for my own sanity. I personally think that there could not be a more unflattering boot for that girl, so why did the magnificent Karl do it? I wonder, do they really actually look great on her, but only Karl can see it? Are the rest of us just dumb? Is he laughing at the foolish people in his kingdom who can't understand it as I type? I'm afraid I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message.